This past Christmas, and for her 7th birthday in January, Ridgely asked for “real” cooking stuff. You can imagine how happy I was! She and I have the best time cooking, she has her own cabinets and loves to be in the kitchen with me! I promised Ridgely that if she started to measure her ingredients, I would post her recipes. She was so excited!
We love Brussel sprouts with bacon in our house – it’s one of our favorite winter sides. For spring, Ridgely decided to switch to shallots.
Ridgely will tell you that salads and brussel sprouts are her favorite things to make. And as this picture shows, she is serious!
- 6 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 2 lbs. Brussel sprouts, halved (I do this task)
- 2 tbsp shallots, finely chopped (I take the skins off then Ridgely chops with her little knife)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, sprinkle Kosher salt across the pan.
- Add brussel sprouts and toss thoroughly in the olive oil mixture. Try to make sure each sprout has contact with the pan.
- Turn the heat to low, and let the brussel sprouts slowly cook, turning occasionally for about 15 minutes. Add the shallots and mix to combine.
- Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes more until one side of the sprout is caramelized.
- Remove from heat and serve.